Wisbech Post Office set to close and move its service to retail premises instead
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH’S main Post Office branch will close if suitable town centre retail premises can be found to accommodate the service instead, the Post Office announced this week.
The premises in Bridge Street are one of 70 Crown Post Offices seeking new accommodation within town centre shops, in a bid to save cash and ensure their future.
Kevin Gilliland, network and sales director at the Post Office said: “Wisbech branch serves thousands of customers every week. However, we must change the way it operates to ensure its long term viability and to maintain services for people in the area.
“We already have over 10,000 branches which operate through franchises and agreements with retailers so we know this model works. We welcome approaches from potential retail partners who want to work with us to provide our customers with high levels of customer service and easy access to Post Office products from a modern retail space.”
Mr Gilliand said the Crown network is currently losing £40m a year of public money, and partnering 70 branches with retailers and investing £70m in 300 other Crown branches is the best way to keep Post Offices on the high street.
You may also want to watch:
If a suitable retailer is found to accommodate Wisbech Post Office, then a six week public consultation will be carried out before any move takes place.
The Post Office plans to move the branch before April 2015, but if no suitable partner can be found, the branch will remain open.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
Retailers can visit www.postoffice.co.uk/business-opportunities to find out more or email email@example.com to request a copy of the registration of interest form. All completed registration forms must be submitted by May 27.