Wisbech Rose Fair, one of Britain’s finest flower festivals, returns next month
- Credit: Archant
There is loads to look forward to when the Wisbech Rose Fair, regarded as one of Britain’s finest flower festivals, returns next month.
The festival, which runs from July 2-6, has a proud tradition - it began more than 40 years ago.
Back then, rose buds were picked locally and sold in the church gardens to raise funds for the restoration of the Norman church of St Peter and Paul, which celebrated its 900th anniversary in 2011.
During Rose Fair the whole town takes on a festive atmosphere, celebrating its horticultural heritage.
This year’s floral theme is I Know a Place, which will bring together traditional flowers and exotic blooms for a breathtaking display.
You may also want to watch:
Orchard Primary School children will perform their newly-acquired song, story-telling and dance skills.
The children will carry giants made during their recent workshops with Pat Howe and proceed to the museum for some Molly dancing.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
The church is set within an acre of stunning gardens which have won a Green Flag award each year from 2008 to 2012.
From Wednesday to Saturday of the Rose Fair the gardens host a wide variety of stalls selling local produce and plants, cakes and preserves, crafts and gifts, bric-a-brac and much more.
The church is open from 8am until 7pm during the festival, except Thursday when the church shuts at 5pm. Entry is free, but donations are appreciated.
A preview evening is held on July 1 from 7.30pm to 9pm (free entry) - come and see the floral arrangements at their freshest and best.
Rose Fair Choral Evensong is held each day from Wednesday to Saturday at 4.30pm. A civic service closes Rose Fair on Sunday at 10am