Wisbech Rose Queen has been saved as The Ladies Circle step in to take it over
- Credit: Archant
A shock u-turn will see Wisbech still crown a Rose Crown in its popular parade this summer - just days after it was announced the historic tradition would be scrapped.
Wisbech Round Table and Wisbech Ladies Circle announced today they would be working together for the Rose Fair Parade 2018 - with the women’s group looking after the Rose Queen contest.
Organisers at the Round Table say that they had previously been approached by The Ladies Circle about running the Rose Queen competition.
The men’s group will instead by focusing on the newly formed Pride of the Parade section - seeking nominations and entries from young people to take their place on the float which will lead all others through the town.
It comes as the controversial decision to scrap the Rose Queen sparked tension with the town’s mayor, Steve Tierney, earlier in the week, with him labelling it ‘very silly’.
You may also want to watch:
Organisers originally said they needed to ‘change with the times’ after considering how to update the event for the last few years.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens