Wisbech rugby player takes part in clinic run by England coaches Mike Catt and Graham Rowntree
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech rugby player was one of 10 aspiring coaches invited to Twickenham to take part in a clinic run by England coaches Mike Catt and Graham Rowntree.
Science and PE teacher Jon Turner coaches the under-13 and under-11 sides at Glebe House School, in Hunstanton, as well as some of the junior sides at Wisbech Rugby Club.
Mr Turner, 33, plays for Wisbech’s first team, at inside centre. He took part in the clinic, organised by England Rugby sponsor QBE, to enhance his expertise and skill in coaching.
He said: “It was truly inspiring to meet Mike and Graham.
“They not only taught me some advanced drills and technical aspects to work on, but also how coaching is all about supporting the success of the game and highlighting why we play, which I think is really important.”
You may also want to watch:
Rowntree was impressed by Mr Turner. He said: “We need to make sure we have enough quality coaches like Jon to welcome new players to our local clubs and encourage them to keep coming back.
“It was great meet Jon and he has all the attributes and passion to become a fantastic coach.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend