Wisbech’s second boxing club hosts knockout open evening
MORE than 150 people turned out to celebrate the transformation of a former wood yard into Wisbech’s second boxing club.
Money has been donated by charities, individuals, Fenland District Council and Wisbech Town Council to help get Waterlees Boxing Club up and running.
The facility, based in a building owned by Robert Shoebridge, near the Boathouse, now has gym flooring, training equipment and a boxing ring.
NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay, the club’s honorary president, was joined by Councillor Alan Melton, district council leader, Councillor Viv MacRae, Mayor of Wisbech, and a series of other dignitaries for an open evening on Friday.
Councillor Virginia Bucknor, who has helped establish the club with her husband, Councillor Michael Bucknor, and new club chairman Bob Lawrence, said the event was a “resounding success”.
You may also want to watch:
“We were delighted with the attendance,” she said.
“This building had previously been a wood yard and it has now been transformed by painting the walls, laying gym flooring, setting up a proper boxing ring and providing equipment.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
“There is still more to do - we’re looking for funds to complete the changing room and shower and we need more equipment.”
Two show bouts were put on for visitors to the club and several youngsters signed up to be members.
Former boxing star Simon Lee started training young competitors at Waterlees more than a year ago as a way of “getting kids off the street and giving them something to do”.
The club is now looking for another trainer and some volunteers to help out on reception for a couple of hours every week. Anyone interested should contact Cllr Virginia Bucknor on 01945 584207.