Wisbech St Mary garage joins electric vehicle revolution
NISSAN dealership J S Holmes is the first garage in Fenland to have an electric car charging point installed.
The power point coincides with the garage stocking the Nissan Leaf – a fully electric five seater car with a 100-mile range.
Sales manager Alex Holmes said: “It is all change in the industry. Between now and 2015 there will be four fully electric vehicles in the Nissan line up, including an electric van next year. Nissan are the only manufacturer to produce a solely electric vehicle.”
Alex says staff at the garage often use the Leaf. “We also encourage service customers to have a go with it,” he said. “It is like free motoring.”
There is no road tax or company car tax to pay with the car, which has a list price of just under �31,000 but also attracts a �5,000 government grant.
You may also want to watch:
The charger at the Wisbech St Mary premises can accommodate two vehicles at a time, and a complete charge takes eight hours.
Customers can use the garage’s charging point free of charge, but Alex says at least one fuel company is currently offering the free installation of electric car charging points.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 3 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 4 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
“I am having my point installed in January,” he added.
A solar panel on the Leaf’s spoiler charges up the 12v battery to power the car’s sat nav, and the car can be pre-heated before use, so the car is warm and welcoming.
“Using an electric car can save a motorist more than �1,000 in fuel if they do an average of 10,000 miles a year,” added Alex. “Customers buying a Nissan Leaf will also be guaranteed the use of a combustion engine vehicle for two weeks a year, as part of the package.
“We would encourage anyone who is interested in the technology to come and have a drive.”