Wisbech St Mary rogue trader landscape gardener imprisoned for eight months
- Credit: Archant
A rogue trader landscape gardener who overcharged for poor or incomplete work was imprisoned for eight months today.
Andrew Smith (aka Andrew Wellbourn), 41, of Chapel Avenue, Wisbech St Mary, who traded as Acorn Landscapes, Andy’s Tree & Garden Services and Mr Gutter, admitted five charges of fraud by false representation and failing to disclose statutory information at Huntingdon Magistrates Court.
His gardening and guttering repair work was investigated by Trading Standards after complaints from the public about incomplete and unsafe work.
Victims complained the final cost of work was at times double the original quote.
An independent surveyor described the standard of work as ‘very poor’ and carried out by people whose only interest was making money from vulnerable people.
You may also want to watch:
Cambridgeshire County Councillor Mathew Shuter said: “Cases such as this protect residents from unscrupulous traders and help to protect legitimate business whose reputation can be tarnished by traders like this one.”
People are advised to take care when employing a trader and use friends and family recommendations along with the Cambridgeshire County Council Buy with Confidence Scheme www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
Anyone who has encountered problems with a trader can seek confidential, impartial advice from Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 08454 040506.