Wisbech St Mary’s Fred clocks up half-a-century at Sunny Hunny
FOR most holiday makers, finding the perfect destination to enjoy a week in the sun may happen just once or twice in a lifetime.
But for Wisbech St Mary man Fred Grange, visiting his favourite caravan park in Hunstanton has turned into something of an annual pilgrimage, with the 86-year-old returning this summer for the 54th year!
Fred started visiting the Searles County Park in 1958 after his wife inherited a caravan from her family.
Back then, both the park and the caravan were somewhat modest, with entertainment coming in the shape of a black and white television located in a shed.
The 86-year-old also fondly remembers how many of the other couples holidaying at the park at that time were staying in traditional wooden gypsy caravans.
You may also want to watch:
These days, Fred enjoys a more luxurious holiday as the proud owner of new lodge, complete with all the mod cons and, of course, its very own television.
He said: “I’ve watched the Searle children grow up and take over the running of the business, and seen the facilities grow into the wonderful park that exists today.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
The Searle family has been operating a holiday park in Hunstanton since the 1930s, with static caravans and luxury lodges available to buy, as well as caravans and lodges for rent and facility for tents and tourers.
For more information visit www.searles.co.uk or www.searlesnorfolklodges.co.uk