Wisbech Town Bridge should remain open
You have asked for people to get in touch regarding the 10 week closure of the town bridge in Wisbech.
I run a business in Wisbech and can honestly say that during peak hours the town is close to gridlock. It can take over half an hour to drive across Wisbech.
Of course there are instances when road closures are unavoidable but I feel that this is certainly not one of them.
The Churchill Road has recently been closed out of hours for drainage and re-surfacing work, but out of hours work creates very little disturbance to traffic flow.
Many people are stating that nothing is happening when they walk past the bridge and this will only anger people more.
You may also want to watch:
The traffic system struggles to cope with the daily flow anyway, let alone closing a major crossing.
I feel that someone within the relevant Highways department should leave their desk and visit the site at peak hours to see for themselves the situation.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 7 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
Health and safety of workers is important and is something that all businesses should comply with.
However, there is no work taking place on the road itself and the foot path is behind railings therefore the workforce are safe.
Should temporary closure be necessary then I suggest this happens out of hours.