Wisbech Town Council should be promoting town centre, not the new out-of-town Tesco store
I see that Wisbech Town Council leader David Oliver, in his inimitable style, has made a real gaff by waxing lyrical about how the new Tesco in Wisbech will benefit town centre shops.
I am fairly certain that Tesco has its own massive publicity machine. I thought Cllr Oliver’s job, particularly in relation to supporting local businesses, was to promote the town centre, local businesses and the local people who are dependent on us to make a living in the town centre.
Also, he tells us that the town centre has benefited from the town centre scheme - well yes it has, but that was implemented by me nearly two years ago and Wisbech Town Council has done nothing with it since.
We negotiated £25,000 to be spent on the town centre to improve it, set up the parking and create partial pedestrianisation. When is this work going to be finished?
Surely it is not beyond the realms of possibility for the town council to organise events every week in the town centre to attract people into the town, rather than wait for the dubious knock-on effect of the new Tesco store.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech has an excellent array of shops and eating places in the town centre - let’s make the most of them.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 8 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 9 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens