Wisbech Town Council to spend up to £5,370 repairing Mayoral Chain of Office
- Credit: Archant
They are arguably the jewels in the Wisbech crown – and now £5,000 is to be spent repairing the 19th chain of office worn by the mayor.
Town councillors agreed repairs and the addition of new shields can be added to the chain up to a maximum of £5,370.
Town clerk Terry Jordan said the beadle had undertaken an examination of the chain “and various refurbishment works have been identified as being beneficial”.
Mr Jordan said: “These involve repairing areas of minor damage as well as general works to improve the overall appearance of the chain.”
The Wisbech chain of office was provided by donations in 1883 at the instigation of Alderman W M Rust, the then mayor.
You may also want to watch:
At six and half pounds in weight the chain is said to be one of the heaviest made.
The clerk said councillors were told that there was an under spend in the mayor/civic expenses for 2013-14 “and from this information members concluded that funding of all the repair and enhancement works is possible”.
- 1 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 2 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 3 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 4 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 8 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip