Wisbech Town end March Town United’s FA Cup dream but football in Fenland was the winner
ALMOST 2,000 people watched Wisbech Town and March Town United’s players give everything during 180 minutes of fantastic Fenland derbies.
Even though Wisbech claimed bragging rights after last night’s 3-2 FA Cup Preliminary Round replay victory both sides were both winners financially.
The Fenmen - who play a league above the Hares - earned �1,500 for their victory but each club had already pocketed �750 by setting up the dream clash.
And bumper crowds in both fixtures helped Fenland’s biggest clubs boost their coffers even further with thousands of pounds being made through gate receipts, programme sales, raffle tickets and food.
March chairman Phil White admitted he was left speechless by Saturday’s crowd of 1,100 as fans queued down Robingoodfellow’s Lane to gain entry to Fenland’s biggest derby in 30 years.
You may also want to watch:
A record attendance at Wisbech’s Elgood’s Fenland Stadium of 830 was even more impressive considering the match clashed with the televised England v Wales Euro 2012 qualifier.
So, although Steve Appleby’s side may have knocked out Brett Whaley’s Hares to progress to the next round it’s clear that there was one real winner over the two games - football in Fenland.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
• Click on the related link on the page for video highlights, a gallery and a match report from the FA Cup Fen derby replay.