Wisbech unsuccessful in Portas shop bid but will try again
THE team created for the purpose of securing the support and advice of Mary Portas for Wisbech has failed in its task - but will get a second bite of the cherry.
The Wisbech Town Team received a letter from housing minister Grant Shapps and retail guru Mary Portas informing them off their unsuccessful bid in the first round of the Portas Pilots Initiative, a Government initiative to rejuvenate troubled high streets.
After some 370 applications for the funding and tailored help, the Government has announced there will be a second round of 12 winning towns.
Wisbech Town Team will apply for the second round but said the first bid was successful in that it brought together a group of people to benefit Wisbech.
Chairman Jaqui Fairfax said: “The Portas initiative was really the catalyst that brought the Town Team together.
You may also want to watch:
“In that respect, the team’s bid has been a success and although the result was obviously disappointing, we will be entering our bid into the second round of the scheme.”
Wisbech Town Team will now focus on more immediate projects including a summit for societies, clubs and groups in the town.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 8 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 9 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
The winning towns announced today are: Bedford, Bedfordshire; Croydon, Greater London; Dartford, Kent; Bedminster, Bristol; Liskeard, Cornwall; Margate, Kent; Market Rasen, Lincolnshire; Nelson, Lancashire; Newbiggin by the Sea, Northumberland; Stockport, Greater Manchester; Stockton on Tees, Teesside and Wolverhampton, West Midlands.