Wisbech volunteer is awarded for his dedication to a national diabetes charity
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech volunteer, who gives much of his free time to support his favourite charity, has won a top regional award.
Arthur Smart, 67, a former BT worker, was presented with the East of England Diabetes UK volunteer of the year award.
He was also presented with the campaigning and raising awareness award at the event.
A key member of the local Wisbech group, in addition to his tireless commitment, Arthur shares his experience of living with Type 2 diabetes to help, support and educate others.
“He speaks at various events to raise awareness and understanding and also helps support the charity’s prevention work by undertaking risk assessments, said Sharon Roberts, Diabetes UK eastern regional head.
You may also want to watch:
“Arthur is a very worthy winner. He goes above and beyond what any charity could expect of a volunteer.
“His continued support is outstanding. Nothing is too much trouble for Arthur and we are extremely grateful to him.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
“There are more than 3.5 million people diagnosed with diabetes, and our dedicated volunteers help them to manage their condition, campaign to improve the quality of care available to them, fundraise for pioneering research and work to stem the rising tide of diabetes.”
Arthur said: “I’m surprised and delighted. I thoroughly enjoy volunteering for the charity and hope that I can help others in a small way.”
To find out more about becoming a volunteer or join a local support group, email email@example.com or call the Eastern team on 01376 501390.