Wisbech waterfront gets �85,000 facelift
WISBECH’S Nene Waterfront is set to receive an �85,000 facelift after county and district councils join forces to regenerate the riverfront.
The county council said they will spend �65,000 to repair and resurface roads at the Boathouse Business Centre in the hope of boosting business and house building in the town.
The roads set for an upgrade include Bedford Street, Russell Street and Chase Street.
A further �20,000 will be spent to repair and resurface the footways.
Fenland District Council will also carry out work to improve the appearance of the site for future developments by clearing weeds and repairing fences in the area.
You may also want to watch:
The regeneration work is a partnership between Cambridgeshire County Council and Fenland District Council.
The county council said work will take place on October 8 and 9. Although access to properties will be maintained, local diversions may be in operation.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
It is hoped the improvements will encourage businesses and house builders to consider the area for development.
The riverside rejuvenation was proposed by Leaders of Cambridgeshire County Council, Councillor Nick Clarke and Fenland District Council (FDC), Councillor Alan Melton, as well as Stephen Barclay, MP for NE Cambridgeshire.
Cllr Clarke said: “Whenever I visit the boathouse I’m struck by the beauty of this site right by the river and how much potential it has for the town.
“The works to improve these roads are part of our joint commitment with Fenland District Council to make the most of this riverfront area while long-term development of the site is pursued.”
FDC Leader, Cllr Melton, said: “The Port Area and the Nene Waterfront are the core areas of the redevelopment of Wisbech.
“The Boathouse forms the centrepiece to this area. The proposed works are the first stage of our improvement plans and will enable the area to attract investment”
This initial work is part of wider plans to improve the surface water drainage to roads within North Ward, reconstruct Mount Pleasant and resurface Osborne Road.