Wisbech woman wins £25,000 on People’s Postcode Lottery - X Factor star Danyl Johnson breaks the good news
- Credit: Archant
A grandmother finally had something to celebrate after winning £25,000 – two years after thieves stole £300 worth of fuel from her tank and three years after losing a £1,200 trailer.
It was all smiles for Janet Hurst, 73, on Saturday as X Factor star Danyl Johnson, now a People’s Postcode Lottery ‘ambassador’, knocked on her Wisbech St Mary home to tell her she had won.
And apart from presents for her 15 grandchildren, her first thoughts were on a visit to the dentist.
“The first thing I want to do is get my teeth sorted out,” she said. “One fell out recently and another is loose. It can be expensive but I want to be able to smile with confidence.”
Mrs Hurst was at home with her husband, David, a retired carpenter, when she was surprised by former X-Factor finalist Danyl who presented her with her cheque.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m over the moon,” she said. “I’ve never won anything before – I had to pinch myself to make sure it was real.
Apart from teeth she also plans to buy a new television set.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 7 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 8 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 9 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 10 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
“Our TV at the moment takes about 20 minutes to come on in the morning,” she said.
She added: “We have four children, 15 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren,” she said. “I can’t wait to tell them all about my win.”
Danyl said: “Janet couldn’t stop smiling when I presented her with her cheque, although I know she’ll be smiling ever more when she gets the dental work she wants. I hope she treats herself.”
Since coming fourth in the 2009 X Factor, Danyl has enjoyed success as a singer and has recently been nominated for an award in his home town of Reading for his charity work.