Woman dies after being hit by HGV on A1
- Credit: Archant
A woman in her 30s has died following a collision on the A1 southbound carriageway earlier this morning (Thursday).
Police were called to the A1 between the B645 and the A428 at 3.30am after a collision between a HGV and a pedestrian.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: “A woman has died following a collision on the A1 between the B645 Wyboston and the A428 this morning.
“A woman in her 30s was hit by a HGV on the southbound carriageway.”
The southbound carriageway is shut from the A14 at Brampton Hut, Huntingdon, to the A428 turning for Eaton Socon, St Neots.
You may also want to watch:
Highways England have advised motorists to come off the A1 at Brampton Hut, junction 21, and take the A14 east and proceed to junction 24 Godmanchester.
At junction 24 they should then use A1198 south to Papworth to join B1040, then follow B1040 to A428 and take A428 to A1.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
Ray George, duty operations manager for Highways England in the East, said: “We are working closely with police to reopen these roads as soon as possible, but it is difficult to say how long that will be at this stage as accident investigation needs to take place. We would advise drivers to find alternative routes if at all possible”.
The road was closed northbound, earlier this morning, from the A428 to the B645 turning for Eaton Ford but reopened at around 8am.
Long delays remain in the area and at the Buckden roundabout.
Anyone who saw the incident or a woman walking along the A1 this morning is being asked to contact police on 101 and ask to speak to a member of the Road Policing Unit.