Woman from March jailed for neglect as she did ‘nothing to prevent’ an 18-month-old child from being left with ‘horrific’ injuries
- Credit: Archant
A woman who did nothing to protect a toddler from being punched in the face has been jailed for more than four years.
Monika Rudaityte, 27, of Badgeney Road, March, was in the house when an 18-month-old girl suffered abuse at the hands of 29-year-old Deividas Subacius in September last year.
The toddler was punched in the face by Subacius and had significant swelling and bruising to her right eye.
An examination by doctors also revealed she had eight healed fractures including to her femur, wrist, collar bone and ribs.
Rudaityte pleaded guilty to neglect and was sentenced at Peterborough Crown Court today (May 29) to four years and nine months.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Constable Clemie Yaxley said: “The child in this case suffered horrific injuries but Rudaityte did nothing to prevent it. Thankfully she has no lasting injuries and is now flourishing.
“Neglect is the ongoing failure to meet a child’s basic needs and is the most common form of child abuse. It can be dangerous and can cause serious, long-term damage, even death.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 6 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
“If you think a child is in immediate danger call police on 999. If you’re worried about a child, but unsure call police on 101 or the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.”
Subacius was jailed for 17 years in February after pleading guilty to actual bodily harm, grievous bodily harm and blackmail.