Woman screams at hedgehog and kicks it like a football, forcing it to be put down, in Peterborough attack
- Credit: Archant
A woman was seen kicking a hedgehog in the middle of Peterborough on Tuesday.
The RSPCA were called after a passing member of the public saw the middle-aged woman attacking the wild animal and shouting at him about 2.30pm. She was in a courtyard at the bottom of some flats in Sprignall, Bretton.
RSPCA inspector Justin Stubbs said: “She was seen screaming ‘stupid hedgehog’ and kicking the little animal around continuously, as if he were a football. Luckily she was seen by a passer by who called us.
“When I arrived I found the hedgehog still alive, but lying on his side, twitching, clearly in great agony.
“I took him to a vet where he was given treatment but sadly his injuries were found to be so severe that he was put to sleep the next day to prevent further suffering.
You may also want to watch:
“There is no excuse for such a senseless attack, and I can’t imagine what could have motivated it. I have known cases like this with young children who don’t know any better, but for a grown woman to attack an animal like this is just baffling.”
Anyone with any information about this incident should call the RSPCA in strictest confidence on 0300 123 8018.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
To support to the RSPCA, text HELP to 78866 to give £3 (Texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message).