Work begins on 135-home estate in Gaul Road at March
WORK has started on a new housing development in Gaul Road at March, where Cannon Kirk UK Ltd will be building a total of 135 new homes.
Cannon Kirk -- one of the sponsors of the Fenland Enterprise Business Awards -- has worked closely with the local highway authority to establish the site, which will include estate roads and road widening.
A new roundabout will be built on the adjacent A141 after the 50th home is occupied, or within two years of development commencing.
The new housing estate will include 34 two-bedroom homes, 48 three-bedroom properties, and 53 four-bedroomed homes, with associated garages and parking. The start of work is the culmination of many months of negotiations, the first planning application for the site dates back to 2008.
When Fenland District Council considered the latest plans for the new development, council leader Alan Melton said the only way to obtain infrastructure in the district was to work more closely with the development industry.
You may also want to watch:
He said it would be ideal to build the roundabout before any of the homes were built, but it was unrealissic in the current economic climate. He said building the roundabout after 50 houses were occupied was a reasonable compromise. He thanked council officers and the local highway authority for brokering the deal.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Car blaze was arson say fire chiefs
- 3 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 4 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 5 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 6 Zero hygiene rating for East Cambs take-away
- 7 Cross party review says 39 councillors for Fenland not enough -three more needed
- 8 Ledger discovery affords a glimpse of Victorian travel
- 9 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 10 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor