Work starts on new £110,000 skate and BMX park in Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
Construction work is under way to create a new BMX/skate park for young people in Chatteris.
Work began on site at the Wenny recreation ground last week and is expected to take up to 10 weeks to complete.
Representatives from Fenland District Council, Chatteris Town Council and the not-for-profit business WREN attended a groundbreaking event there today (Tuesday).
The project is being largely funded by a £75,000 grant from WREN; Fenland District Council has put up £35,000 of Section 106 funding allocated for open spaces in Chatteris.
Councillor Peter Murphy, FDC’s Cabinet member responsible for open spaces, said: “We have consulted with young people and families in Chatteris and this is something that they have told us they want.
You may also want to watch:
“It has been in the pipeline for some time now and I’m sure they’ll be very pleased to see it finally taking shape. We’re very grateful for the funding from WREN, which has made it possible.”
WREN awards grants for community, conservation and heritage projects from funds donated by FCC Environment through the Landfill Communities Fund.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
Sarah Gosling, WREN’s grants manager for Cambridgeshire, said: “It’s always nice to see something we have funded start to take shape. We’re delighted to be supporting such a worthwhile project and look forward to it becoming the best skate park in the area, benefiting so many youngsters and families.”
The site will also incorporate a new outdoor table tennis table like those that have already been installed at Wisbech Park, West End Park in March and the Manor Centre in Whittlesey.