Work starts this week to install new tracks between Stansted Airport and London
- Credit: Archant
Passengers travelling on the line between Stansted Airport and London at weekends in January are being advised to check before they travel as Network Rail will be installing new track as part of its Railway Upgrade Plan.
From this weekend (January 9 and 10), engineers will be working between Stansted Mountfitchet and Broxbourne to renew over 1.3km of track, and six sets of points. The last weekend of work will be January 30 and 31.
Abellio Greater Anglia will run a bus service for passengers to keep people moving on the affected sections of the line, including a direct bus service from London Liverpool Street to Stansted Airport as this upgrade takes place.
Network Rail route managing director, Richard Schofield, said: “To keep trains running reliably we have to continue with our Railway Upgrade Plan to modernise the track and other equipment. While we mostly work at night, some upgrades like this one can only be carried out over a longer period of time.
“I’d like to thank passengers in advance for bearing with us over these weekends as it will mean some changes to their travel plans.”
You may also want to watch:
Jamie Burles, managing director, Abellio Greater Anglia said: “We will be doing all we can to provide passengers with the best possible alternative service. Extra staff will be available to assist and passengers are advised to check their journey details in advance.
“We’re grateful for the cooperation and patience of our customers for the duration of these improvement works.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
These works were planned to take place in January rather than over Christmas so that some services into and out of Liverpool Street could continue over the festive period.
Service summary information for weekends in January:
• Stansted Express will operate a direct bus replacement service on each weekend through January
• Train shuttle services will operate between Cambridge and Stansted Airport
• Train shuttle services will operate between Liverpool Street and Cheshunt for the first two weekends, and between Liverpool Street and Broxbourne for the final two weekends
• A bus replacement service will operate between Cheshunt at Hertford East/Stansted for the first two weekends, and between Broxbourne and Hertford East/Stansted for the final two weekends.
For further details, visit nationalrail.co.uk or abelliogreateranglia.co.uk/alterations