World Cup fever spreads across Fenland during England’s semi-final game against Croatia
- Credit: Archant
It wasn’t just youngsters and rowdy football fans out supporting the country last night as 98-year-old Freda was spotted watching the World Cup semi-final at a pub in Turves.
She was amongst a busy crowd at The Three Horseshoes to cheer on the England team as they played against Croatia.
Though it wasn’t the outcome everyone had hoped for, football fever certainly brought people in the Fens closer together.
Meanwhile at the match itself in Russia, Wisbech got its 15 minutes of fame as a giant flag sporting the name of the town appeared on international television.
In the top left corner of the flag, the Norwich City Football Club emblem could also be seen.
Back at home in March, Ye Olde Griffin pub was packed to the rafters with hundreds of dedicated revellers chanting ‘It’s Coming Home’ at every opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
At the end of the game, fans showed their pride for the England team for making it this far by offering a round of applause.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire