You only swim when you’re winning! David, 76, completes English Channel challenge for charity
TIRELESS fundraiser David Davies raised �400 for charity by swimming the length of the English Channel at the Hudson Leisure Centre in Wisbech.
Mr Davies, 76, of Leverington Common, swam 1,146 lengths of the pool during the 12-week challenge to support spinal charity Aspire.
He said: “I waited until I was halfway through the challenge before I started gaining sponsorship because to start with I thought I’d perhaps taken on too much.
“But eventually - because I swam five times a week - I realised I could do it. Even though I’m very glad I took on the challenge is was definitely a one-off.
“I raised so much more than I expected and I so thankful for everyone’s generosity.”
You may also want to watch:
More than 5,000 people took part in this year’s Aspire Channel Swim raising an expected �400,000 as a result.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 10 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis