Teenage driver dies yards from home in 2am crash
- Credit: Family
Manea teenager Kelso Lawrence was killed in the early hours of Monday after his car crashed just yards from his home.
The car was found by emergency services upside down in a ditch.
Two others in his silver Peugeot 206 when it crashed on Byall Fen Drove at 2am escaped uninjured.
Police said firefighters and paramedics were quickly on the scene but Kelso, 19, who lived on the same road, died at the scene.
Kelso’s family have paid tribute to him in a statement which reads: “Kelso will be sorely missed by all the family, his son and his many, many friends.
“We respectfully ask for privacy at this difficult time.”
Anyone who witnessed the collision, or believes they saw the car beforehand, is asked to contact police via their web chat service here or call 101, quoting incident 28 of December 27.
Tributes flooded in after Kelso was named earlier on social media as the victim of the crash.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Motorcyclist killed after driver fell asleep at the wheel
- 3 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 4 Man arrested following Peterborough 'murder'
- 5 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 6 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 7 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 8 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 9 The Queen's Head named 'Cambridgeshire's best pub'
- 10 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
Floral tributes have been placed outside the village near the spot where the young driver died.
One friend described him as “one of the kindest people I know; always had me laughing”.
Another posted that Kelso “never failed to brighten up anyone’s day”.
One other friend wrote that he was “shocked, speechless… and in absolute disbelief! RIP brother- you will forever be in my thoughts”.
There were no other vehicles involved.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue service said: "At 2am on Monday (27) crews from Chatteris and March were called to a road traffic collision on Byall Fen Drove in Chatteris.
"Firefighters arrived to find a vehicle upside down in a ditch. Using specialist cutting equipment they released a casualty, who sadly died at the scene.
"The crews returned to their stations by 4am."