Youths praised after helping to evacuate care home residents following blaze in an outbuilding at Littleport care home

Fire engine

Fire engine - Credit: Archant

Littleport residents have taken to social media to thank a group of youths who helped with the evacuation of residents of a care home following a fire.

The blaze broke out in an outbuilding at The Limes in Church Lane last night to what fire crews reported as an accidental fire.

On Facebook one resident was fulsome in praise for the support of a group of young people.

“In this day and age the ‘youth’ can get a battering over their behaviour and attitude,” wrote one member.

“Tonight the youth of Littleport have proved that you should never tar everyone with the same brush.


You may also want to watch:


“There was a fire at the Limes. The staff approached some youths who were outside and asked them to assist with evacuating the residents and far from laughing or throwing petrol bombs they did just that, they ran in and helped.”

The woman added: “Littleport is a good place to live and is home to some young people whose parents should be very proud of them tonight.”

Most Read

Another posted that her 15 year old son dialled 999 “when he and his friends noticed the fire. They assisted with the evacuation. Very proud mum tonight.”

One woman said: “Hubby came home and said how many people were helping out and how nice it was to see.”

Another added: “Yes a big well done to all those that took part the youths did well BUT it won’t make the papers.

“This sort of thing never does it. Had they done some damage it would be front page news.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter