10 questions with Stevie Harrow
SPORTS reporter GAVIN CANEY continues to discover more about Fenland’s sporting stars. Here, Gavin speaks to Stevie Harrow, a 14-year-old artistic gymnast from Manea who will train with the England team in December ahead of re-trialling for next season’s squad in February.
Name: Stevie Harrow
Occupation: Student at Cromwell Community College
What persuaded you to get into the sport? I used to enjoy swinging on the crossbar of the swings in our back garden rather than the actual swing itself. I’d just love hanging upside down on the bars and I suppose it all started from there. I then did one hour a week at Hudson Leisure Centre when I was six and I’ve carried on enjoying gymnastics from there.
You may also want to watch:
Who is your sporting idol? Beth Tweddle.
If you could change one thing about your sport what would it be? I’m off to America next year to compete and the people of Manea have been helping me raise money for the trip. I’m very thankful for that so I can’t really complain about anything right now as I’m happy with how everything is going.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Stunning drone footage shows prom night in all its glory
- 4 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 5 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 6 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 7 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 8 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 9 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
What is your biggest passion away from sport? I love going out and spending time with my friends.
What was your most embarrassing moment? When I messed my run-up to the vault in Gloucester when I was about ten and got it all wrong. It was an error by my old coach who made me start on the wrong foot so I ended up landing straight on the horse.
What item could you not live without? Definitely my phone. I’m always texting away or on Facebook when I’m in the car for long journeys to train or compete.
Where is your dream holiday destination? I’d really like to go to Spain so I could go and see where my nan lives.
Where was your last holiday? Haven at Ayr in Scotland two years ago. I don’t really get the chance to go away much though because I’m always training.
What is your favourite and least favourite TV programme? Although I did really like this year’s I’m a Celebrity, I don’t have a favourite or least favourite programme because I don’t get much time to sit down and watch TV.
What is your sporting aim? To make the 2011 European championships although my main goal is to one day represent Great Britain at the Olympics.