March Bears totted up their highest points tally of the season with a superb display of clinical and ruthless finishing in the first game of 2024.

With a total now of more than 500 points so far this season, this win takes them 17 points clear at the top of the table.

The game was effectively tied up within 13 minutes after March Bears ran in four tries, three of which were converted taking the score to 26-0.

The first in two minutes was a crisp handling move along the backs with Sam Howat going over for a try near the corner which was not converted.

Two minutes later, Callum Campbell carved his way through for another try which Howat converted.

Three minutes after that saw Will Paul slip through followed by an exquisite dummy then a final flourish of a pass to Harvey Davies and again Sam Howat put the conversion over.

In the thirteenth minute saw Billy Robinson brush tackles aside to go over and this was again converted by Sam Howat.

After a short lull for the next 15 minutes March then carried on with another Billy Robinson power try , yet again converted by Sam Howat.

Ten minutes later March carried out a superb turnover move in the forwards which saw Bryn Pughsley go over for his first try in yet another hat-trick performance with Sam Howat closing off the first half scoring with another fine conversion.

With a turn round score of 40-0 it was really then just a case of how many March would rack up in the second half, but Cambridge just would not give in and this was embodied in particular by their number 8 who continued to fiercely tackle throughout the game.

The first try of the second half was by Billy Dean who was on the end of a repeat move as per the first try of the game with some crisp backs handling but unlike the first try by now Sam Howat was in full flow with his kicking boots.

Straight from the kick off a short passing move saw Sam Howat this time go over for his second try which he also converted

By this time only 47 minutes had passed in the game and the score was already 54-0

The next score was a very impressive individual run by the provider in chief Will Paul followed by Howat’s almost, it seemed, inevitable conversion.

Three minutes after this try, Bill Robinson completed his first hat trick for the club powering over under the sticks for a converted try.

This was followed by two tries by Bryn Pughsley within four minutes and he was the second player who had now racked up a hat trick in the game.

Neither of these tries were converted and suddenly Sam Howat’s kicking boots had deserted him.

However with the score now at 78-0 it was hardly crucial.

With 10 minutes, left Will Paul provided Callum Campbell a great slip pass and then five minutes later Billy Dean took advantage of some good recycled ball to run in his double.

Finally, and greeted with delight, Jack Linard scored his first try for the club when he crashed through several tackles to go under the posts and then followed that up with his first conversion ever as well.

Final Score:  March Bears 95 Cambridge III 0