March Bears win against Bury St Edmunds III at the weekend takes them 26 points clear at the top of the league.

The final score in the Eastern Counties League 1 West game on Saturday was March Bears 47 - Bury St Edmunds 0. 

This was against a team they have always conceded points to, and remained one of the few who could challenge them for the title.

On this occasion, March Bears ran out seven tries to nil, with six of them converted, and in the end a very thoroughly deserved victory.

March had to make an enforced change at fly half  with the departure of its first choice Will Paul who departed for a round-the-world year trip.

Sam Howat who has had a brilliant season with the boot from the tee and great cover at full back, stepped up and had memorable game with the ball in hand.

However in the opening 15 minutes, March made numerous unforced errors but such is the strength of character in this team that suddenly there was a typical March rotation ball which saw them carve a gap through the Bury defence and captain Danny Grieve was there on the receiving end to go over for March’s first try of the game, the only one which was not to be converted .

A further 12 minutes elapsed before Sam Chapman in his new scrum role powered his way through the loose to crash over under the posts with Sam Howat following up with the first of his six conversions.

Three minutes later Bryn Pughsley in his own inimitable style crashed through the Bury defence and suddenly March were 19 points to nil up.

The early handling errors were now behind them and a great move and then a delayed pass by captain Grieve fed Adam Munro who still had some way to go but he  wasn’t going to stopped and the fourth and bonus point try was in the bag before half-time with the team turning round at 26 v 0 in favour of the Bears.

The second half started with Bury defending gallantly and for 16 minutes they managed to hold out without ever once getting out of their own half but when a penalty was given 25 metres out nothing was going to stop the try machine Bryn Pughsley, who went through nearly half the Bury side to round off his second try of the day.

Into the final 10 minutes Bury had a set piece scrum and hooked the ball back, but held it at the back feet for far too long, which allowed Aidan Grey to grab and power over for  first-ever try for the senior side, and well deserved it was,  in what was an very good display by him over all.

The screw was further turned two minutes later when a terrific backs’ move, with some superb passing, saw Harvey Davies going over for the final and his goodbye try as he also jets off on a back pack world tour.

Meanwhile Sam Howat completed his sixth conversion of the day taking the final  score to March Bears 47 v Bury  III 0.