A great start
WISBECH ladies first team got their season off to the best possible start when they won both their games at the weekend. In East Premier B, the promoted but inexperienced Wisbech team produced an inspired performance to win 4-3 at home to St Albans. Skip
WISBECH ladies' first team got their season off to the best possible start when they won both their games at the weekend.
In East Premier B, the promoted but inexperienced Wisbech team produced an inspired performance to win 4-3 at home to St Albans.
Skipper Sue Slator got Wisbech off the mark from a short corner and Ellie Atkins soon made it 2-0 when she also netted from a short corner.
Saints pulled back a goal but Claire Apted restored the two-goal lead before half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Laura Overland fired in a fierce shot to make it 4-1 and although the visitors came back and scored two goals, Wisbech held on for an excellent win.
In a superb team display, five players were nominated for player of the match, which was won by Claire Apted.
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Man, 48, dies after Mercedes car overturns in horror ditch crash
- 4 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 5 Hospitalised driver and passenger suffer serious injuries after crash
- 6 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 7 Welcome back to the food capital of the Fens
- 8 Caring Daisy, 7, to donate hair to help children's charity
- 9 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 10 Dame Mary Archer defence witness in sexual abuse trial of judge's widow
The ladies' first team put the icing on the cake with a 3-2 home win in their cup game against Norwich City.
Mel Ludlam scored her first goal for the club to put Wisbech ahead and Erika Burrell's shot extended the home side's lead.
Norwich hit back before the break but Natalie Ward rewarded the home side's play with a third.
City scored a second but the victory went to Wisbech, for whom Steph Hanlon had an excellent debut and Natalie Ward was voted player of the match.
Wisbech ladies' II, playing in their first season in the Cambs Ladies Premier, were also in top form to record a 4-2 win at St Ives II.
Saints opened the scoring but Wisbech found their shape, bounced back and scored three unanswered goals through Lou Sandle, Georgina Dunn and Fiona Shields put the visitors 3-1 up at the break.
The home side pulled back a goal as they pushed forward in the second half but Georgina Dunn secured the points with a fourth.