A year to remember
THE Fenland Golf Society, based in Chatteris, celebrated the most successful 12 months in its nine-year history at the annual awards dinner and cup tournament. The cup competition was played out at Lakeside Lodge Golf Club, Pidley, and was followed by the
THE Fenland Golf Society, based in Chatteris, celebrated the most successful 12 months in its nine-year history at the annual awards dinner and cup tournament.
The cup competition was played out at Lakeside Lodge Golf Club, Pidley, and was followed by the awards ceremony at the Cross Keys Hotel, Chatteris.
Mark Edgley rounded-off a very successful year by winning the cup after beating newcomer Phil Swingler on count-back.
Mark was voted the most improved player of the year and also won the singles cup, beating Martin Gowler into second place.
You may also want to watch:
The Annual Medal Cup, played out over a 10-month period, had joint winners for the first time in its history when Mick Curry and Phil Swingler shared the honours.
The Doubles Cup was won by Grant Osbourn and Les Stebbings. Stebbings sank a 25-foot putt on the final hole to beat James MacTavish and Joe Perry into second place.
- 1 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 4 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 7 March Town mark long-awaited return with victory in double-header
- 8 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
Newcomer Jim Spooner won the Singles Plate competition after beating George Brennan.
The Society plays every two weeks throughout the year and has two tours, one in Spain during the spring and an autumn tour to Scotland or Ireland.
The Society kicks off 2007 with a match at Tydd St Giles Golf Club. There are limited vacancies for new members due to some members moving out of the area. Interested golfers can contact the secretary, Grant Osbourn, on 07753 811530.