Acorns picks up best club accolade as it gears up for 20th anniversary celebration
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Town Acorns do not turn 20 for another couple of weeks but there is already cause for celebration.
The youth football club, which will mark its 20th anniversary on July 6, received The Chairman’s Award for best club from the Peterborough and District Youth League.
Mark Brighty, club secretary, said: “At the Peterborough Youth league AGM we were commended by the chairman of the league as a well run, friendly club.”
Acorns takes players of all abilities from the age of six years old through to 18.
Kelley Lewis, vice chairman, said: “We have grown and developed over 20 years, working very hard on our own internal policies, equality, bullying, safeguarding children and the FA respect program to ensure that we are one of the friendliest and most welcoming clubs around.
You may also want to watch:
“Anyone who has been involved with Acorns over the past 20 years should take credit and join in with the celebrations.”
The 20th anniversary celebration takes place at Elgood’s Fenland Stadium on Saturday July 6.
- 1 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 2 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 3 Driver escapes injury after A14 lorry fire
- 4 Hauliers face Covid and Brexit HGV driver shortage
- 5 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 6 Police disrupt drug dealer's 'oven ready' cannabis stash
- 7 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 8 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 9 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 10 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
The Acorns under-15s and under-16s will play eachother at 1pm before a team made up of former and present coaches and players takes on a March Foods side at 2pm.
As well as the football, there will also be a bouncy castle, side stalls, food and a bar.
Tickets are £2 for adults, £1 for under-14s and under-5s get in for free.
In the evening there is a ticket only get together. The Disco/Karaoke/Bar doors open at 7pm – Tickets are £3 for adults, £2 for children under 14 and under-5s get in for free.
For more information go to www.wisbechtownacorns.co.uk or visit their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/pages/Wisbech-Town-Acorns-20th-Anniversary-2013