Another Fen Derby? Wisbech Town and March Town United come through Cambs Invitation Cup ties
A CAMBS Invitation Cup Fen Derby remains a possibility after Wisbech Town and March Town United came through their first round ties last night.
The Fenmen outclassed Linton Granta, claiming a 4-1 win, while the Hares pipped Lakenheath 1-0 despite the absence of their manager.
Paul Crosbie was away in Brussels with the Tartan Army, supporting Scotland as they limped to a 2-0 defeat against Belgium.
But his troops still did the job at the GER, as James McDonough’s strike 15 minutes from time proved enough to edge them into the quarter-finals.
For the Fenmen it was a more comfortable evening, as goals from Anthony Reeve, Darren Jimson, Lewis Clayton and in-form Adam Millson saw them breeze into the next round.
Steve Appleby’s side also had time to miss a penalty - Rogan McGeorge saw his spot-kick well saved - and have Reeve sent off for stamping.
The quarter-finals are due to be played in January.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 5 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 9 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 10 Leslie transforms his life thanks to remarkable weight loss