Another solid weekend for George Russell, who finds himself in top five of overall FIA Formula 3 European standings
- Credit: Archant
Tydd St Giles racer George Russell produced three points finishes at Monza ... but it could have been even better.
In Round Four of the FIA Formula 3 European Championship, Russell made up a place from qualifying to finish eighth in the first race.
In race two, Russell enjoyed a lightening start and showed great pace throughout to go from 14th to sixth.
In the final race, Russell was handily placed in seventh, with a top five finish in his sights, when the red flag was waved due to the amount of crashes which had taken place over the weekend.
Russell said: “We made another good start. We were doing a lot of overtaking and moved up to P7 early on. Unfortunately there was an incident creating a red flag half way through and the race didn’t restart.
“That was quite disappointing as I was catching the guys ahead of me and I thought P5 could’ve been on the cards.
“All in all we had three very good races, but we just really need to work on our qualifying performance.
- 1 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 2 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 3 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 4 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 7 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 8 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 9 Gill ready to 'give fans a show' amid European title frustration
- 10 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
“We haven’t quite optimised that yet and it’s really hindering our races. But we’ll keep pushing and come back fighting for the next round at Spa (June 19-21).”
Russell is fifth in the overall standings (68 points). Championship leader is Antonio Giovinazzi (182 points).