Another solid weekend for George Russell, who finds himself in top five of overall FIA Formula 3 European standings
- Credit: Archant
Tydd St Giles racer George Russell produced three points finishes at Monza ... but it could have been even better.
In Round Four of the FIA Formula 3 European Championship, Russell made up a place from qualifying to finish eighth in the first race.
In race two, Russell enjoyed a lightening start and showed great pace throughout to go from 14th to sixth.
In the final race, Russell was handily placed in seventh, with a top five finish in his sights, when the red flag was waved due to the amount of crashes which had taken place over the weekend.
Russell said: “We made another good start. We were doing a lot of overtaking and moved up to P7 early on. Unfortunately there was an incident creating a red flag half way through and the race didn’t restart.
“That was quite disappointing as I was catching the guys ahead of me and I thought P5 could’ve been on the cards.
“All in all we had three very good races, but we just really need to work on our qualifying performance.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 5 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
“We haven’t quite optimised that yet and it’s really hindering our races. But we’ll keep pushing and come back fighting for the next round at Spa (June 19-21).”
Russell is fifth in the overall standings (68 points). Championship leader is Antonio Giovinazzi (182 points).