Appleby lands his target as hotshot Joe Jackson makes ‘perfect’ move to Wisbech Town
- Credit: IAN BURT
BOSS Steve Appleby believes he has captured one of the region’s brightest young talents after striker Joe Jackson made his “perfect” move to Wisbech Town.
The 21-year-old signed for the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title-chasers last night after calling time on his near three-year spell at First Division Swaffham Town.
Appleby, who released Rogan McGeorge, Deakan Napier and top marksman Dubi Ogbonna last week, believes he has found a lower-league diamond.
“He’s keen, eager, wants to do well and he’s ambitious,” said the Fenmen boss. “He fits the bill as we’re trying to go places and Joe can grow with us because he’s obviously got great potential.
“He’s far too good for the level he’s been playing at and he just needs a chance. There’s one or two clubs been sniffing around and we thought we’d act especially with Dubi leaving.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s not a risk at all. Joe will score goals. He’s got nothing to prove to me or anybody else. He just needs to go out and play his normal game.”
Jackson, who leads the First Division scoring charts with 16 goals in 19 games, has turned down a host of approaches from higher-level clubs this term - but he failed to resist the lure of playing for the Fenmen.
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 4 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 9 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 10 Drink-driver blows over four times legal limit after ‘booze and cruise’
He said: “Wisbech have got a chance of going up and I want to challenge myself and play as high as I can. I think this is a great club and I’ve heard nothing but good things about it.
“I just thought it was the perfect place to progress. I’m excited - Wisbech are a massive club.
“They easily get 200-300 people for home games. What more can I want? I’ve had other offers but I said I’d only move if it was the right move. Wisbech fits the bill.”
Appleby added: “The fact that he’s been loyal to Swaffham and that he wasn’t just going to move to any club is quite nice.
“He’s already shown off the pitch the right attitude and the determination to come here and do well. Hopefully he can do.”
Jackson looks set to make his Fenmen debut tonight, when they travel to Ely City in the league.