Appleby swoops for Napier and Sturman but Wisbech Town are stunned at the seaside
NEW signings Deakan Napier and Lewis Sturman made their Wisbech Town debuts yesterday - but the Fenmen were stunned by struggling Felixstowe and Walton United.
Wisbech boss Steve Appleby hoped to spring a surprise by including winger Napier, 21, and defender Sturman, 18, in his squad for the trip to the seaside.
But the plan backfired as third-bottom Felixstowe capitalised on a first-half defensive mix-up to claim a 1-0 win. It was Wisbech’s second league defeat of the season and one that ends a 10-game unbeaten run.
The loss also meant Appleby’s troops missed the chance to return to the top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, as their title rivals Mildenhall Town and Dereham Town were beaten.
It was not the ideal start for Napier who has joined the Fenmen on a permanent basis. The right winger, whose former clubs include Histon and Needham Market, has never played lower than Step 4 in the non-league pyramid.
You may also want to watch:
Young right back Sturman, who has signed on dual registration terms from Boston United, made his debut as a second-half substitute.
The Fenmen host Thetford Town in the league on Saturday.
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 7 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 8 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 9 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 10 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021