Appleby swoops for Napier and Sturman but Wisbech Town are stunned at the seaside
NEW signings Deakan Napier and Lewis Sturman made their Wisbech Town debuts yesterday - but the Fenmen were stunned by struggling Felixstowe and Walton United.
Wisbech boss Steve Appleby hoped to spring a surprise by including winger Napier, 21, and defender Sturman, 18, in his squad for the trip to the seaside.
But the plan backfired as third-bottom Felixstowe capitalised on a first-half defensive mix-up to claim a 1-0 win. It was Wisbech’s second league defeat of the season and one that ends a 10-game unbeaten run.
The loss also meant Appleby’s troops missed the chance to return to the top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, as their title rivals Mildenhall Town and Dereham Town were beaten.
It was not the ideal start for Napier who has joined the Fenmen on a permanent basis. The right winger, whose former clubs include Histon and Needham Market, has never played lower than Step 4 in the non-league pyramid.
You may also want to watch:
Young right back Sturman, who has signed on dual registration terms from Boston United, made his debut as a second-half substitute.
The Fenmen host Thetford Town in the league on Saturday.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 10 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police