LOCAL FOOTBALL: Good start to Whittlesey Athletic’s title challenge
- Credit: Archant
Assistant manager Simon Flanz is confident Whittlesey Athletic will be title contenders in the Peterborough & District League Premier Division.
They have enjoyed a fine start to the season with three victories and a draw in their opening four games.
The wins arrived against Langtoft, Warboys and Peterborough Polonia with Whittlesey’s only dropped points coming in a 3-3 draw at Sutton Bridge.
“We’ve had a good start in terms of results and we’ve also added a couple of strong signings to the squad,” said Flanz.
“We finished third last season and we’re definitely hopeful we can improve on that.
“But we know it won’t be easy with strong teams like Netherton and Moulton Harrox around.”
Whittlesey’s home clash against early leaders Moulton Harrox was postponed last Saturday due to development works at their Feldale Field base.
- 1 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 2 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 7 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 8 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 9 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 10 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
The club have built new dugouts and dug out bases for floodlights which they hope to install next summer.
Whittlesey go to struggling Long Sutton tomorrow and then host a Thorney side, who are still boasting a 100 per-cent record, on Tuesday.