Athletics: Louise Hazel
ANY Fenland youngster who dreams of becoming a successful athlete can look at the example set by March s Louise Hazel. The 20-year-old heptathlete looks set for a bright future in the sport, but only her determination to succeed allowed her to overcome th
ANY Fenland youngster who dreams of becoming a successful athlete can look at the example set by March's Louise Hazel.
The 20-year-old heptathlete looks set for a bright future in the sport, but only her determination to succeed allowed her to overcome the lack of athletics facilities in Fenland.
On learning of the steps being taken by The Queen's School, former Neale-Wade student, Hazel said: "It is great that there is talk of developing athletics in Fenland.
"I started training at the March Braza but once I began competing I had to travel to Bedford and Peterborough to train."
She added: "There is no shortage of athletics talent in Fenland but the prospect of travelling and the expenses involved puts a lot of people off.
"The likes of the Watts and Tinkler brothers and Leah Parsons show that there are young people who are willing and dedicated to the sport."
- 1 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 2 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 3 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 100th birthday for Clovelly House resident
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
Hazel said: "Fenland needs investment and a good track but rural areas of the country always suffer because the inner cities receive all the support."
She added: "Athletics facilities provide a base for coaching in various sports and not only track and field.