Athletics: Louise Hazel
ANY Fenland youngster who dreams of becoming a successful athlete can look at the example set by March s Louise Hazel. The 20-year-old heptathlete looks set for a bright future in the sport, but only her determination to succeed allowed her to overcome th
ANY Fenland youngster who dreams of becoming a successful athlete can look at the example set by March's Louise Hazel.
The 20-year-old heptathlete looks set for a bright future in the sport, but only her determination to succeed allowed her to overcome the lack of athletics facilities in Fenland.
On learning of the steps being taken by The Queen's School, former Neale-Wade student, Hazel said: "It is great that there is talk of developing athletics in Fenland.
"I started training at the March Braza but once I began competing I had to travel to Bedford and Peterborough to train."
You may also want to watch:
She added: "There is no shortage of athletics talent in Fenland but the prospect of travelling and the expenses involved puts a lot of people off.
"The likes of the Watts and Tinkler brothers and Leah Parsons show that there are young people who are willing and dedicated to the sport."
- 1 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 4 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 7 March Town mark long-awaited return with victory in double-header
- 8 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
Hazel said: "Fenland needs investment and a good track but rural areas of the country always suffer because the inner cities receive all the support."
She added: "Athletics facilities provide a base for coaching in various sports and not only track and field.