BABY GLOVE: March’s first female boxer vows to return to ring... after giving birth
MARCH Amateur Boxing Club’s first female boxer Vicky Larham has vowed to return to the ring... after she has given birth.
The 26-year-old, who has won all four of her career bouts, fell pregnant a week before the start of the Amateur Boxing Association (ABA) Championships last year.
But with a little boy due in four weeks, she is already masterminding her return to action.
“I have missed boxing too much,” she said.
“Everybody has told me that I won’t come back but the more people say it, the more determined I become.
You may also want to watch:
“I can have a baby, I can train hard and I can be a champion.”
Larham became the first female boxer in March ABC’s 63-year history last February.
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 4 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 5 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 6 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 Dad of two killed on Fen road
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Pedestrian dies at scene of crash
She won a national title just eight months after stepping into the ring and seemed destined for a bold showing at the ABAs.
“I found out I was pregnant a week before the championships started,” she said.
“One of my bouts had been cancelled as well - that must have been a sign from the man upstairs.
“I didn’t feel like I normally felt while I was training... then I found out it was because I was pregnant.
“I have missed boxing but the pregnancy has been easy because I was so fit. I haven’t had sickness or cravings... apart from boxing.”
Larham, who has also played football for Aston Villa ladies, admitted she was desperate to test herself against the best female boxers in the country.
“I want to beat the girl who won the championships,” she said. “I want to fight her at the March show at Christmas.”
The boxing star added: “We’ve got the baby’s name but I will keep that a secret.
“I thought about Enzo, after Enzo Maccarinelli, but we’re going with my boyfriend’s choice.
“He’s going to be the best boxer in March.”