BABY GLOVE: March’s first female boxer vows to return to ring... after giving birth
MARCH Amateur Boxing Club’s first female boxer Vicky Larham has vowed to return to the ring... after she has given birth.
The 26-year-old, who has won all four of her career bouts, fell pregnant a week before the start of the Amateur Boxing Association (ABA) Championships last year.
But with a little boy due in four weeks, she is already masterminding her return to action.
“I have missed boxing too much,” she said.
“Everybody has told me that I won’t come back but the more people say it, the more determined I become.
You may also want to watch:
“I can have a baby, I can train hard and I can be a champion.”
Larham became the first female boxer in March ABC’s 63-year history last February.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 4 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 5 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 6 Body found in Wisbech road
- 7 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 8 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 9 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
She won a national title just eight months after stepping into the ring and seemed destined for a bold showing at the ABAs.
“I found out I was pregnant a week before the championships started,” she said.
“One of my bouts had been cancelled as well - that must have been a sign from the man upstairs.
“I didn’t feel like I normally felt while I was training... then I found out it was because I was pregnant.
“I have missed boxing but the pregnancy has been easy because I was so fit. I haven’t had sickness or cravings... apart from boxing.”
Larham, who has also played football for Aston Villa ladies, admitted she was desperate to test herself against the best female boxers in the country.
“I want to beat the girl who won the championships,” she said. “I want to fight her at the March show at Christmas.”
The boxing star added: “We’ve got the baby’s name but I will keep that a secret.
“I thought about Enzo, after Enzo Maccarinelli, but we’re going with my boyfriend’s choice.
“He’s going to be the best boxer in March.”