Bacon brace helps fire Wisbech Town to 5-1 drubbing of Thetford Town
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Town claimed their third win over Thetford Town in as many months as they waltzed to a 5-1 victory.
The Fenmen have plundered 11 goals in their three meetings with Thetford this season - but yesterday’s away win was the most emphatic for Steve Appleby’s troops.
Winger Deakan Napier, who may find himself employed in a forward role for Saturday’s FA Vase fourth-round trip to Gornal Athletic, fired the visitors into the lead in the fourth minute.
But the Fenmen failed to extend their advantage and it looked like they might pay the price when James Pipe’s rocket drew Thetford level in the 57th minute.
Wisbech were in no mood to give up the points, though, and they were back in front just two minutes later through Ollie Gale.
Chris Bacon, who will be suspended for Saturday’s Vase clash, made it three with a close-range header in the 61st minute before setting up Scott Johnson for a fourth.
Bacon put further gloss on the scoreline in the closing stages with his second simple finish of the day.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 3 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 4 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 8 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 10 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
The win ensured that Wisbech, who sit sixth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division with games in hand, gained some ground on their title rivals as Walsham-le-Willows and Dereham Town dropped points.