Bacon brace helps fire Wisbech Town to 5-1 drubbing of Thetford Town
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Town claimed their third win over Thetford Town in as many months as they waltzed to a 5-1 victory.
The Fenmen have plundered 11 goals in their three meetings with Thetford this season - but yesterday’s away win was the most emphatic for Steve Appleby’s troops.
Winger Deakan Napier, who may find himself employed in a forward role for Saturday’s FA Vase fourth-round trip to Gornal Athletic, fired the visitors into the lead in the fourth minute.
But the Fenmen failed to extend their advantage and it looked like they might pay the price when James Pipe’s rocket drew Thetford level in the 57th minute.
Wisbech were in no mood to give up the points, though, and they were back in front just two minutes later through Ollie Gale.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Bacon, who will be suspended for Saturday’s Vase clash, made it three with a close-range header in the 61st minute before setting up Scott Johnson for a fourth.
Bacon put further gloss on the scoreline in the closing stages with his second simple finish of the day.
- 1 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 4 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 7 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 8 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 9 Disgruntled dog owners fall foul of Wetherspoon's dog ban
- 10 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
The win ensured that Wisbech, who sit sixth in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division with games in hand, gained some ground on their title rivals as Walsham-le-Willows and Dereham Town dropped points.