Soham continue fine form as Benwick hit 11 in county cup
- Credit: Daniel Mason/Archant
Some of our local football sides were in fine fettle as they continued their momentum in the Cambridgeshire County League’s ‘Champions League’ tournament.
One of those sides include Soham Town Rangers Reserves, who backed up their previous thrashing with another dominant display in the Senior Cup.
The Greens dispatched Somersham Town 4-0 in Group C on Saturday, April 24, first-team player-manager Robbie Mason scoring twice.
In the same group, Wisbech St Mary Reserves were beaten 5-1 at home to Kershaw Premier side Hemingfords United.
In Group D, Cottenham United backed up an impressive 2-0 win at Eynesbury United with victory over Hardwick on Tuesday as Isleham United beat Fordham in Group E.
In Group A of the Intermediate Cup, Benwick Athletic lost 6-0 at AFC Walpole while Doddington United lost 4-1 at Guyhirn on Wednesday after a 2-1 win over March Academy last Saturday.
Burwell Tigers, who beat Over Sports Reserves 3-1 on Saturday, failed to repeat the feat after a 5-2 defeat at Exning United on Tuesday in Group D.
- 1 Two appear in court for murder after victim dies from 2006 assault
- 2 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 3 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 4 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 5 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 6 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
- 7 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 8 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 9 Stabbing victim a 'fun loving guy who enjoyed life to the full'
- 10 NHS doctor ‘banned from describing himself as ‘Dr’ on ballot paper’
On Wednesday night, Ely City ‘A’, who notched their first win in Group D with a 3-1 success over Stretham last weekend, thrashed Soham United 7-1 in the Junior Cup, Benjamin Marshall scoring a hat-trick.
Also in the Junior Cup, Soham Town Rangers 'A' followed victory with a draw at West Row Gunners, Stretham won while Cottenham United Reserves, who also won on Saturday, were beaten at Longstanton in midweek.
There were also weekend wins for Lt Downham & Pymoor Swifts, Stretham Reserves and Witchford 96 Reserves, but defeat for Wicken.
The big Saturday winners were Benwick Athletic Reserves, who smashed 11 past Doddington United Reserves in Group B, as AFC Christchurch were held to a 1-1 draw at Guyhirn Reserves.
It is confirmed that Ely City Reserves and Wimblington have pulled out of the competition.
The Cambridgeshire County League have announced it will become inactive on its social media platforms this weekend.
Writing on Twitter, the Cambs League said it will support the social media boycott from 3pm tomorrow (Friday, April 30) to 11.59pm on Monday, May 3 in response to discriminatory abuse received online by players and others within the game.