Billy Smith becomes latest Wisbech Town player to join King’s Lynn
BILLY Smith has become the latest name to head for the exit door at Wisbech Town in favour of King’s Lynn Town.
The 24-year-old winger reassured the Fenmen management he would stay put during the close season, but has now decided to follow former manager Gary Setchell and players Scott Cubberley and Alex Street to The Walks.
Wisbech boss Steve Appleby was defiant after Smith’s move that new signings will arrive in the next couple of weeks to push the Fenmen further up the Ridgeon’s Premier League pecking order.
In a statement on the club’s website, Appleby said: “When I joined Wisbech, my plan for this coming season was to have a core of Wisbech-based players with a few lads from other areas. I feel it is important to have as many home-grown players as possible, only adding players from outside the town where necessary.
“Let me reassure supporters that everything possible was done to keep the players who have left, but sometimes they think the grass is greener. I have to act in the best interests of our football club and although I wanted to keep the players who have left and build my side around them, I will not have them dictating where they will play in the side and will not be held to ransom regarding this or over financial matters either.
You may also want to watch:
“Most disappointing for me is the fact that it is mostly Wisbech-based players who have moved on and due to our rivalry with Lynn, this wouldn’t have happened a few years ago.
“There are still a number of Wisbech-based players who will play a major part in my side next year and although there will be additions from outside the town, I would again like to reassure everybody that the players bought into the club will be of equal or better talents than those who have left and will have the hunger and determination to bring the success that we all want.”
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 9 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 10 Motor cyclist killed in March crash
Stuart Ablett is now fully fit and raring to go for the new season. Appleby said his return will be “like a new signing for us”.