Billy Smith becomes latest Wisbech Town player to join King’s Lynn
BILLY Smith has become the latest name to head for the exit door at Wisbech Town in favour of King’s Lynn Town.
The 24-year-old winger reassured the Fenmen management he would stay put during the close season, but has now decided to follow former manager Gary Setchell and players Scott Cubberley and Alex Street to The Walks.
Wisbech boss Steve Appleby was defiant after Smith’s move that new signings will arrive in the next couple of weeks to push the Fenmen further up the Ridgeon’s Premier League pecking order.
In a statement on the club’s website, Appleby said: “When I joined Wisbech, my plan for this coming season was to have a core of Wisbech-based players with a few lads from other areas. I feel it is important to have as many home-grown players as possible, only adding players from outside the town where necessary.
“Let me reassure supporters that everything possible was done to keep the players who have left, but sometimes they think the grass is greener. I have to act in the best interests of our football club and although I wanted to keep the players who have left and build my side around them, I will not have them dictating where they will play in the side and will not be held to ransom regarding this or over financial matters either.
“Most disappointing for me is the fact that it is mostly Wisbech-based players who have moved on and due to our rivalry with Lynn, this wouldn’t have happened a few years ago.
“There are still a number of Wisbech-based players who will play a major part in my side next year and although there will be additions from outside the town, I would again like to reassure everybody that the players bought into the club will be of equal or better talents than those who have left and will have the hunger and determination to bring the success that we all want.”
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 4 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 5 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 8 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 9 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
Stuart Ablett is now fully fit and raring to go for the new season. Appleby said his return will be “like a new signing for us”.