Wisbech club gets support as they try to involve more youngsters in hockey following Olympic success
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Hockey and Cricket Club have been working hard this season to increase participation in hockey following recent Olympic success and the club’s project to re-build their Harecroft Road facilities.
This year the number of under eighteen players has grown to 80 ranging from 5 to 18 years old.
The club has now received the support of Fenland RP Limited to sponsor personalised hoodies for young players this season.
Managing director Nick Osborn has been a player and supporter of the club since the 1980s when he was a junior player himself and latterly managing junior sides and his own son through the junior development pathway.
Club chair Natalie Ward said: “Junior teams are competing in competitions around the region at under ten, twelve, fourteen and sixteen levels in mixed and boys and girls’ competitions.
You may also want to watch:
“Many junior players have become regular team members for adult squads in competitive leagues on Saturdays. There have been opportunities for our young players to act as coaching assistants and gain qualifications as young umpires.
“Junior training takes place on a Saturday morning between 9 and 10am. The season is drawing to a close next weekend and junior training will begin again on Saturday 8th September. There will be provision next season for some indoor training events to avoid cancellation of coaching due to cold weather.
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 8 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 9 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 10 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
“More information can be obtained through visiting the club Facebook page @Wisbechtownhockeyclub or the new website https://www.wtchc.co.uk