Wisbech club gets support as they try to involve more youngsters in hockey following Olympic success
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Hockey and Cricket Club have been working hard this season to increase participation in hockey following recent Olympic success and the club’s project to re-build their Harecroft Road facilities.
This year the number of under eighteen players has grown to 80 ranging from 5 to 18 years old.
The club has now received the support of Fenland RP Limited to sponsor personalised hoodies for young players this season.
Managing director Nick Osborn has been a player and supporter of the club since the 1980s when he was a junior player himself and latterly managing junior sides and his own son through the junior development pathway.
Club chair Natalie Ward said: “Junior teams are competing in competitions around the region at under ten, twelve, fourteen and sixteen levels in mixed and boys and girls’ competitions.
You may also want to watch:
“Many junior players have become regular team members for adult squads in competitive leagues on Saturdays. There have been opportunities for our young players to act as coaching assistants and gain qualifications as young umpires.
“Junior training takes place on a Saturday morning between 9 and 10am. The season is drawing to a close next weekend and junior training will begin again on Saturday 8th September. There will be provision next season for some indoor training events to avoid cancellation of coaching due to cold weather.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 5 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 6 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 7 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 8 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 9 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 10 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
“More information can be obtained through visiting the club Facebook page @Wisbechtownhockeyclub or the new website https://www.wtchc.co.uk