Wisbech club gets support as they try to involve more youngsters in hockey following Olympic success
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Hockey and Cricket Club have been working hard this season to increase participation in hockey following recent Olympic success and the club’s project to re-build their Harecroft Road facilities.
This year the number of under eighteen players has grown to 80 ranging from 5 to 18 years old.
The club has now received the support of Fenland RP Limited to sponsor personalised hoodies for young players this season.
Managing director Nick Osborn has been a player and supporter of the club since the 1980s when he was a junior player himself and latterly managing junior sides and his own son through the junior development pathway.
Club chair Natalie Ward said: “Junior teams are competing in competitions around the region at under ten, twelve, fourteen and sixteen levels in mixed and boys and girls’ competitions.
“Many junior players have become regular team members for adult squads in competitive leagues on Saturdays. There have been opportunities for our young players to act as coaching assistants and gain qualifications as young umpires.
“Junior training takes place on a Saturday morning between 9 and 10am. The season is drawing to a close next weekend and junior training will begin again on Saturday 8th September. There will be provision next season for some indoor training events to avoid cancellation of coaching due to cold weather.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 10 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
“More information can be obtained through visiting the club Facebook page @Wisbechtownhockeyclub or the new website https://www.wtchc.co.uk