Bowlers bring quick victory
MARCH first team recovered from Saturday s defeat to Wisbech to record an emphatic home win against Railway in Rutland Division Two on Sunday. A brilliant all-round bowling performance from March was led by Stuart Mills (3-22), Richard Green (2-7) and Chr
MARCH first team recovered from Saturday's defeat to Wisbech to record an emphatic home win against Railway in Rutland Division Two on Sunday.
A brilliant all-round bowling performance from March was led by Stuart Mills (3-22), Richard Green (2-7) and Chris Peckett (2-30) who smashed through the visitors' batting order and eventually dismissed them for just 85.
March had no problems reaching their target and thanks to Peter Hills (48 not out) and Carl Chapman (21), the home side celebrated victory within 13 overs.
The tables were turned on March II in their Fenland Trophy match at Somersham on Sunday. Damien Hinson (37) and Jamie Stimpson (45) batted well but received no support as March limped to 120 all out.
The target proved comfortable for Somersham and Hobbs' 63 pushed them to victory with eight wickets in hand.
March II's CCA Division One match at Stapleford and Monday's Fenland Trophy match at Warboys were both cancelled due to rain.
- 1 Whittlesey and March serve up cup thriller ahead of crucial weekend
- 2 Village's stunning Christmas lights display captured on camera
- 3 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 4 Santa lightens up the Fens in run-up to Christmas
- 5 Attacked PC nominated for bravery award
- 6 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 7 Roman crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 8 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 9 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 10 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
A fine all-round performance form Scott Welcher was not enough to give March IV victory in their home CCA Junior Division Four match against Littleport on Sunday but the fourth team still won the title.
Welcher led the bowling figures with 2-17 and with support from Jamie Stimpson (2-38) and Andrew Wright (2-65) March worked hard to restrict a determined Littleport to 183-9.
Welcher also produced the goods with the bat as he top scored with 61 not out, but March couldn't find runs quickly enough and ran out of overs on 138-4.
- AN excellent bowling performance from Doddington's second XI helped them to a thumping nine-wicket win at home to Wimblington on Saturday.
Bob Burgess spearheaded the bowling attack with 3-19 and, with the help of Jake Wenman (3028) and Antony Bamford (2-3), Wimblington were quickly bowled out for 79.
Paul King (24) and James Beresford (23) were the only batsmen to make double figures for Wimblington as their innings ended after 29.5 overs.
Martyn Bentley (33) top scored as Doddington reached their total with nine wickets and 18 overs to spare.
Tomorrow, Doddington's first XI travel to Isleham while the second team entertain Milton III. On Sunday, Doddington visit Warboys in the Fenland Trophy.