BOXING: Chatteris fighter Jack Smith eases to first professional win with points success over Gary Reeve
- Credit: Archant
Jack Smith says he is still buzzing after capturing his first win in professional boxing.
The Chatteris puncher, 19, secured an impressive points victory over Gary Reeve in Norwich on Saturday night and believes he did enough to prove himself as a fighter following his disappointing defeat in his first outing in the paid ranks earlier this year.
“I feel that I’ve proved myself coming back from a setback like my debut,” he said.
“I feel like I proved what I can do in the fight. I felt comfortable in there and confident after the first bell.
“I think I righted some of the wrongs from my debut as the game plan was to stay off the ropes and not get pushed back and I didn’t allow that. I used my pivot hook to get out of there when I needed to.”
You may also want to watch:
Smith, who fights out of the St Ives Boxing Academy, turned in a more measured display than in his debut defeat to Craig Derbyshire three months ago; using his range well and picking the right punches to clinch a 40-36 success over four rounds.
“It felt amazing to get the win, I’m still buzzing now,” he said.
- 1 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 2 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 3 Rob's 'walk of thanks' for Magpas Air Ambulance
- 4 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 5 Depleted Bears fight back to earn friendly victory
- 6 Drug dealing pair caught thanks to eagle-eyed neighbours
- 7 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 8 Covid-19 job loss prompts Martin to launch out on his own
- 9 Plea to council to halt £6.5m crematorium plan
- 10 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
“I could have worked more and threw more shots but I knew I was ahead on the scorecards so I didn’t want to get caught with anything silly and just wanted to get the win.
“The support was amazing before and after the fight. I didn’t have as many fans there as last time because lots of people were away but I had loads of messages on social media before and after and I really do appreciate the support.”
And now that he has his first win under his belt, Smith is intent on getting back in the ring as soon as possible – but insists he won’t be jumping into the wrong sort of fights at short notice.
“I’m itching to get back in there but obviously there’s stuff to work on in the gym,” he said.
“So I’ll keep developing and take the right fights at the right time.”