Boxing Day football: Appleby off as Wisbech Town lose but March Town United win again
IT was a mixed Boxing Day for Fenland’s sides as Wisbech Town boss Steve Appleby was sent off during the Fenmen’s 3-1 defeat at Ely City - but March Town United won again.
Ridgeons Premier Division Wisbech went 1-0 ahead inside a minute thanks to an own goal but slipped to defeat against their fellow promotion-chasing opponents.
Appleby received his marching orders after Ely had gone 2-1 in front even though there appeared to be a foul on Neal Spafford in the build up to the goal.
Sixth-placed Wisbech face another tough game on Saturday when they travel to table-topping Wroxham (12.30pm kick-off) before hosting struggling Newmarket Town on Monday (3pm kick-off).
Elsewhere, First Division March Town United made it five consecutive wins with a 2-0 home victory over Downham Town thanks to Matt Franks’ own goal and Ondre Odain’s second-half strike.
You may also want to watch:
Brett Whaley’s in-form Hares now sit second in the table and continue what seemed to be an unlikely promotion push in the New Year with an away trip to Fakenham Town on Monday (3pm kick-off).
• For an exclusive interview with the Fenmen’s talented teenager Danny Emmington, and a sporting review of 2011, see Friday’s Wisbech Standard.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 5 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 6 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 9 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 10 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
• For more on the Hares’ Boxing Day victory and promotion challenge, and a sporting review of 2011, see Friday’s Cambs Times.