Boxing Day football: Appleby off as Wisbech Town lose but March Town United win again
IT was a mixed Boxing Day for Fenland’s sides as Wisbech Town boss Steve Appleby was sent off during the Fenmen’s 3-1 defeat at Ely City - but March Town United won again.
Ridgeons Premier Division Wisbech went 1-0 ahead inside a minute thanks to an own goal but slipped to defeat against their fellow promotion-chasing opponents.
Appleby received his marching orders after Ely had gone 2-1 in front even though there appeared to be a foul on Neal Spafford in the build up to the goal.
Sixth-placed Wisbech face another tough game on Saturday when they travel to table-topping Wroxham (12.30pm kick-off) before hosting struggling Newmarket Town on Monday (3pm kick-off).
Elsewhere, First Division March Town United made it five consecutive wins with a 2-0 home victory over Downham Town thanks to Matt Franks’ own goal and Ondre Odain’s second-half strike.
You may also want to watch:
Brett Whaley’s in-form Hares now sit second in the table and continue what seemed to be an unlikely promotion push in the New Year with an away trip to Fakenham Town on Monday (3pm kick-off).
• For an exclusive interview with the Fenmen’s talented teenager Danny Emmington, and a sporting review of 2011, see Friday’s Wisbech Standard.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 8 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 9 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 10 Fenland BusFest is back in Whittlesey this weekend
• For more on the Hares’ Boxing Day victory and promotion challenge, and a sporting review of 2011, see Friday’s Cambs Times.