BOXING: England trials, national titles and sold-out home shows: All in a year’s work for March Boxing Club
- Credit: Archant
March Amateur Boxing Club is celebrating another season of success.
The local club, based on Century Way, has seen four of its fighters star on the national stage this season and a handful of others add wins to their records at shows around the country.
Patsy Smith is one of those to triumph in a national competition. The 17-year-old won the GB Three Nations Championships by beating opponent Ellis Hopkins on points in the 64kg category in April.
Her exploits throughout the season have also caught the attention of England squad bosses, who invited her to train with the development squad earlier in the year.
Since then, she has been upgraded into the more advanced challenge squad and will fight in her national colours when the new season begins later in the year.
You may also want to watch:
Regan Lazenby is another March fighter to catch the eye of the national squad.
The 18-year-old was assessed by England bosses and has been training with Team GB prospects in Sheffield ahead of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 9 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
Charlie Stevens, 21, also represented his country at the England Boxing Elite National Championship.
March’s younger fighters have also been in fine form, with youngster Mark Smith scooping his first national title at the English Boxing Schools Championships, earning him the highly-coveted golden gloves.
The recent performances of Tarley Smith, Robert Tanner, Acer Smith and Josh Tanner at shows in Bristol and Tamworth also proved that the future of boxing in March is bright and the club’s two home shows – held in December and April – welcomed crowds of over 300.
Coach Dave Cole, said: “We’ve had two really good shows which were really well supported by the whole town.
“We’ve got fighters making their way onto the national scene and the crop of young boxers we have are all looking really impressive.
“I’d like to say thank you to everyone who has supported the club throughout the season and we’re looking forward to getting back to it in a couple of month’s time.”
For more information on March BC, call Dave on 07780 675953 or search ‘ March Boxing Club’ on Facebook.