Boxing sensations Charlie Stevens and Jordan Gill cruise into ABA quarter-finals
HARD-HITTERS Jordan Gill and Charlie Stevens have cruised into the national quarter-finals of the Junior Amateur Boxing Association Championships.
Chatteris star Gill, who turns professional in July, broke his shell-shocked opponent’s nose in a unanimous points victory in Surrey.
Meanwhile former March Amateur Boxing Club talent Stevens, from Upwell, beat his opponent 15-1 in another one-sided bout.
The 16-year-old said: “It was a whooping but I was actually disappointed because he shouldn’t have lasted a round with me. I didn’t fight very well but I obviously did enough.”
Reigning champion Stevens left March ABC for West Ham Boys ABC last year.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It’s a top class club. Almost everyone that I’m training with is a national champion and they all want to stay at the top. I’m training as hard as possible and we’re all pushing each other.
“I’m pretty confident in the ABAs this year. If I perform to my best, I know I could have it in the bag.”
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
Stevens and Gill will contest their quarter-finals on Saturday. Gill faces Repton ABC’s Kwake Sarpon, who has won 18 of his 20 fights.
Chatteris ABC will hold their dinner show on May 5, from 6pm at Cromwell Community College, Chatteris.
For tickets, priced at �30 for dinner and boxing or �10 for boxing only, contact Matty Payne on 01354 693630.