Boxing sensations Charlie Stevens and Jordan Gill cruise into ABA quarter-finals
HARD-HITTERS Jordan Gill and Charlie Stevens have cruised into the national quarter-finals of the Junior Amateur Boxing Association Championships.
Chatteris star Gill, who turns professional in July, broke his shell-shocked opponent’s nose in a unanimous points victory in Surrey.
Meanwhile former March Amateur Boxing Club talent Stevens, from Upwell, beat his opponent 15-1 in another one-sided bout.
The 16-year-old said: “It was a whooping but I was actually disappointed because he shouldn’t have lasted a round with me. I didn’t fight very well but I obviously did enough.”
Reigning champion Stevens left March ABC for West Ham Boys ABC last year.
He said: “It’s a top class club. Almost everyone that I’m training with is a national champion and they all want to stay at the top. I’m training as hard as possible and we’re all pushing each other.
“I’m pretty confident in the ABAs this year. If I perform to my best, I know I could have it in the bag.”
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 4 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 5 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 6 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 9 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 10 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
Stevens and Gill will contest their quarter-finals on Saturday. Gill faces Repton ABC’s Kwake Sarpon, who has won 18 of his 20 fights.
Chatteris ABC will hold their dinner show on May 5, from 6pm at Cromwell Community College, Chatteris.
For tickets, priced at �30 for dinner and boxing or �10 for boxing only, contact Matty Payne on 01354 693630.