BOXING: Sparta ABC star Eryk Ciureja boxes clever to clinch another national title
- Credit: Archant
Sparta ABC star Eryk Ciureja stormed to his seventh title of the season at the Hull Box Cup last weekend.
The club’s boxer of the year was crowned 46kg division champion after dethroning Welsh champion Billy Unsworth in a three-round showdown at the Bonus Youth Performance Centre.
After battling through a day of intense qualifiers, Ciureja faced an opponent determined to hold onto his title.
Unsworth came out with intent in the opening round, but the highly-skilled Ciureja reacted well, boxing with intelligence and power to win the round.
The fighters went toe-to-toe in rounds two and three but Ciureja came out on top following a display of excellent inside fighting which included some booming body shots.
You may also want to watch:
Eryk’s coach, Matt Lenton, said: “It was a really outstanding display. Eryk showed real class and his boxing brain was second to none.
“It was an excellent victory especially over one of the best fighters in the country and he is going from strength to strength.”
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 3 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 7 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 10 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school