BOXING: Sparta ABC star Eryk Ciureja boxes clever to clinch another national title
- Credit: Archant
Sparta ABC star Eryk Ciureja stormed to his seventh title of the season at the Hull Box Cup last weekend.
The club’s boxer of the year was crowned 46kg division champion after dethroning Welsh champion Billy Unsworth in a three-round showdown at the Bonus Youth Performance Centre.
After battling through a day of intense qualifiers, Ciureja faced an opponent determined to hold onto his title.
Unsworth came out with intent in the opening round, but the highly-skilled Ciureja reacted well, boxing with intelligence and power to win the round.
The fighters went toe-to-toe in rounds two and three but Ciureja came out on top following a display of excellent inside fighting which included some booming body shots.
You may also want to watch:
Eryk’s coach, Matt Lenton, said: “It was a really outstanding display. Eryk showed real class and his boxing brain was second to none.
“It was an excellent victory especially over one of the best fighters in the country and he is going from strength to strength.”
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 4 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 5 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 6 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 7 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 8 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 9 Villagers stay strong to earn perfect post-lockdown record
- 10 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal