BOXING: Sparta ABC youngsters start new season in winning style
- Credit: Archant
Boxing prospects from Sparta ABC have begin the new season in style.
A handful of youngsters from the March club were in action at shows in Hoddesdon and Leicester in recent weeks, adding impressive wins to their amateur records.
First up was Igor Mihailov, who, thanks to his accurate punches and set-piece moves, eased to an impressive win in his 20th bout.
Next through the ropes was 11-year-old Andrew Garner, who performed well through all three rounds of his fight, followed by John Doe, who pulled on the gloves for the first time as a Sparta fighter.
Callum Fitzpatrick was also in action, but was unlucky to lose his bout.
Sparta returned to action the following weekend in Leicester, with Garner claiming a points victory, Fitzpatrick bouncing back with a win and Mihailov narrowly missing out.
Head coach, Matt Lenton, said: “I’m really pleased with all the boys’ performances. They all boxed well and it bodes well for the future of the club.”
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 5 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 6 Missing woman back home
- 7 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 8 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 9 Family's questions over Covid death of beloved hospital care worker
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told